Registered Healthcare Professional - Clinical Supervisor – Immunisations - Bank (Crystal Palace)
About the job
This role forms an integral part of mass vaccination delivery within South West London. The programme will deliver Covid Vaccinations in Crystal Palace.
As a Clinical Supervisor for immunisations, the post holder will work as part of a dynamic team in delivering a safe and effective service for the mass delivery of vaccinations for both influenza (flu) and the COVID-19 vaccine(s). The post holder will undertake a clinical supervisory role, overseeing a team of Immunisers.
The post holder will be responsible for:
• Delivery of a safe immunisation service, assisting to influence and facilitate change within the setting and service areas.
• Conducting clinical assessments of patients prior to vaccination
• Supporting the reviews of complex medical histories and potential adverse reactions and offering specialist advice as needed.
• The supervision of the configuration of the vaccination pod and vaccination station within the mass vaccination delivery model.
• The clinical supervision of safe vaccination delivery.
• The supervision of drawing up and preparation of the vaccine prior to administration and ensuring that each activity is recorded.
Ensuring the best possible clinical outcomes by using up-to-date skills and adhering to evidence-based policies and procedures
Responsibilities for direct/indirect patient care
• Responsible for clinical supervision of a team of immunisers.
• Responsible for providing highly specialist advice and technical services in relation to the care of patients
• Required to work with minimal supervision
• Plan, advise, recommend and evaluate treatment when necessary
• Handle difficult conversations (sensitive, language barriers, hostile atmosphere) and convert complex technical information into easily to understand communication
Responsibilities for policy and service development implementation
• Observe infection control procedures
• Adheres to Professional Code of conduct, and maintains own professional development ensuring fit for practice
• Ensures that all NHS statutory & mandatory training is kept up to date. Attends all mandatory training as needed. This includes Basic Life Support, Anaphylaxis and Immunisation training.
• Follow local and national policy making comments on proposals for change
• Act as a mentor or respond to any escalations or queries from more junior staff.
Support staff in the provision of care including training in the use of site
• Assist with the overall coordination of the pod activity and day to day delivery of the vaccinations, ensuring clinic rooms and equipment within own area are prepared and sufficient stock of clinic supplies are available.
• Supervise the pre-vaccination clinical assessments to confirm the correct vaccination, the consent agreements and consult on the provision of specialist advice on contra indications
• Ensure post vaccination information is given to the patients.
• Address any concerns that may arise regarding the vaccine and contra-indications including triggering any clinical escalation that maybe required, first to the nursing manager and then to the medical director as appropriate.
• Supervise the review of patients’ medical history and address any potential adverse reaction risks; provide patients with information on what to do in the event of adverse reactions.
• Supervise the configuration of the vaccination pod:
a) Confirmation and recording of pod setup (in terms of layout and equipment)
b) Confirmation and recording of required vaccine stocks, PPE and vaccine delivery consumables
Confirmation of availability for sanitisation materials and waste/clinical waste receptacles